Romance Saved by the Bell
You all know what time it is…it’s back to school time! Social media is full of parents who’ve posted their children’s “first day of school” photos and things are finally back to normal. “Finally we get back on track and establlish a schedule again!” You’ve probably thought, it’s time to pull out the monthly planners and pencil in all of the practices, rehearsals, games, school dances, and PTA meetings if you’re brave enough to volunteers (yes, we’ll go with brave). The school year is all about being the best parent you can be and working yourself until you have nothing left at the end of the day, right?
As parents, it is our natural instinct to put everything we have into our kids. We pour into them tirelessly until we have nothing left to give at the end of the day. This causes burn out, which for may for us, leads to our marriages suffering from neglect. But, there’s hope! It doesn’t have to be this way. Here’s a wild and crazy idea: what if we took all of that time and effort we put into planning activities for the kids and put it into planning time with our spouse?
Often times when we think of planning romantic ge-a-ways or quality time, we think it has to be something extravagant but that’s far from true. Carving out some alone time with your significant other can be super easy, as well as cost effective! To get you started, I’ve come up with some ideas for you!
- Plan a stay-cation: While the kids are at school and you have the house to yourself, the two of you can take the day off! If you have a little one who isn’t school age just yet, hire a babysitter, or allow them to have a play date with a trusted friend.
- Schedule some unintterupted time on the calendar for the two of you to talk each day, even if it’s just 30 minutes.
- One night a week, put the kids to bed early and have a candlelight dinner.
- Schedule a couple’s massage and get to know your “date” all over again.
- Each night before you go to bed, write in a journal together. At the end of the year, you’ll have so much to reflect on!
- Book an intimate couples cooking class – I come right to your home and my husbandy and I teach you how to cook delicious meals and ramp up the intimacy that we know, starts in the kitchen.
There are endless possibilities when it comes to ways to keep that spark alive and take advantage of the back to school season. Don’t miss out on those gem moments. Times like these spent with your spouse will not only strengthen your marriage, it will make you a better parent for it as well. It’s a win-win situation!
If these ideas spark a little more romance between you and your spouse, we invite you to attend our Intimacy Begins in the Kitchen Retreat coming up in April 2020. It is 3 days and 2 nights of couple building and strengthening. You can find out more information here.